Look Beyond the Medical Treatments (SCORviews)
If mortality improvement is a three-legged stool, improved treatment of disease is only one leg; the other two legs are prevention and early detection
Underwriting Presentations from M.U.D. 2018
Slides from presentations given at the 48th annual M.U.D. Conference have been posted at their website. Presentations include:
- The Population is Abusing Drugs, but Are Drugs Abusing Insurance?
- Update from the Cuckoo’s Nest: Mental Health Underwriting
- Electronic Medical Records - State of the Union Update
- The Rise and Fall of Liver Biopsy
- Prostate Cancer- To screen or not to screen that is the question
- Through Thick and Thin – Red Blood Cell Disorders
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Evaluating Those with a Big Heart
- Using Third Party Scoring in Accelerated Underwriting
- Data Analytics & Underwriting: Are 20th-century regulations still appropriate for 21st-century underwriting?
- Anti Aging, Youthful Medication, Longevity/HGH
- Mind the Gap- Understanding the influence of anti-selection and various holes in the underwriting process of accelerated versus traditional underwriting
Taking Credit (Best's Review)
The predictive power of credit behavior data can accelerate the underwriting process for life insurers.
How ‘Critical’ is Low Risk Prostate Cancer?
Insurers design critical illness policies with the intention being to cover medical conditions that are likely to have a life-changing impact on the life insured, with payment alleviating financial pressure as recovery and adjustment to an altered way of life take place. Should insurers include lower risk prostate cancer in such products or are they well positioned to exclude these altogether, considering the favorable outcome?
Impaired Risk Review: Rage Against the Machine
Increasingly, computer templates are making binding underwriting decisions through information that is programmed in with final decisions virtually unappealable. It’s a frustrating situation that is taking the human element out of a very human situation of health and risk assessment.
Industry Directions - Our Annual Forecast (LOMA Resource)
Insurance leaders predict what’s ahead for sales and profits, information technology, customer service, human capital—and more.
Collaboration Can Bring Digital Innovation to Life Insurance
There is a view that the life insurance business needs to change or to innovate in order to remain relevant and reach new customers; if incumbent players don’t make an environment that appeals to new customers, someone else will step in and do it in their place.
Cost-Benefit Analysis of Underwriting Screening for Opioid Risks
The question we hear from underwriters is: is it financially feasible to screen all life applicants for opioid use? The intention of this paper is to provide context for these concerns by exploring various screening options, and to provide a cost-benefit analysis that can assist underwriting departments in determining when to use such screening tools.