Underwriting Presentations from M.U.D. 2018
Slides from presentations given at the 48th annual M.U.D. Conference have been posted at their website. Presentations include:
- The Population is Abusing Drugs, but Are Drugs Abusing Insurance?
- Update from the Cuckoo’s Nest: Mental Health Underwriting
- Electronic Medical Records - State of the Union Update
- The Rise and Fall of Liver Biopsy
- Prostate Cancer- To screen or not to screen that is the question
- Through Thick and Thin – Red Blood Cell Disorders
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Evaluating Those with a Big Heart
- Using Third Party Scoring in Accelerated Underwriting
- Data Analytics & Underwriting: Are 20th-century regulations still appropriate for 21st-century underwriting?
- Anti Aging, Youthful Medication, Longevity/HGH
- Mind the Gap- Understanding the influence of anti-selection and various holes in the underwriting process of accelerated versus traditional underwriting
Taking Credit (Best's Review)
The predictive power of credit behavior data can accelerate the underwriting process for life insurers.
Impaired Risk Review: Rage Against the Machine
Increasingly, computer templates are making binding underwriting decisions through information that is programmed in with final decisions virtually unappealable. It’s a frustrating situation that is taking the human element out of a very human situation of health and risk assessment.
Synthesis Analysis - A Robust Statistical Tool for Life Insurance Underwriting and Pricing Research
As life insurers move toward accelerated or low friction underwriting, there is an increased interest in adopting emerging mortality risk prediction scores that are available almost instantaneously.
Classification Model Performance (Gen Re Risk Insights)
Insurers are increasingly developing prediction models to use in their insurance processes. Often these models are using traditional techniques, but more and more we see machine learning techniques being applied.
Big Data Sharing and Predictive Modeling: 5 Things for Regulators to Consider
The U.S. market is ready to realize this potential from these expansive technologies and networks but a regulatory pathway needs to be established to safeguard adherence to our core insurance principles and an individual’s right of privacy.
The Internet of Things: Key Considerations for Life Insurers
Smart homes, telematics devices, autonomous cars – it is clear the “Internet of Things” (IoT) is having a big impact on the property casualty insurance industry. But what are the implications for life insurers? A tour of technological advances and changing customer expectations.
Sun Life Studying Whether Credit Scores Could be Useful in Underwriting
Could credit scores have a predictive value on determining subsequent mortality experience? Dean Connor, President and CEO of Sun Life, explained how his company is exploring this question.
Incorporate Third Party Scoring in Accelerated Underwriting (Slides)
The slides from a presentation by Guizhou Hu, M.D. Ph.D., Vice President Chief Decision Analytics Officer (Gen Re) have been posted at the Actuaries' Club of the Southwest website.
Tools and Data in the Underwriting Process (Slides)
The search is on for how to disrupt the underwriting process to find or select the best risks. Can data ever be as good as blood? There is an ever growing number of tools and resources becoming available to insurance companies to underwrite business. The presenters will present some of the tools, data sources, uses and concerns in the underwriting process.
Note: The session above (29) can be found in the 10:30-11:45 a.m. time slot