Adopt a Correlation-based Underwriting Approach to Drive Efficiency
Why “We have always done it this way” is not an ideal approach for insurers today.
5 Ways MassMutual's AI Systems Could Evolve
Sears Merritt says the company has already learned interesting things about how people age.
LexisNexis Risk Classifier – Stratifying Mortality Risk Using Alternative Data Sources
Munich Re assessed LexisNexis Risk Classifier, a predictive modeling tool developed and owned by LexisNexis Risk Solutions, Inc. that accurately stratifies mortality risk using public records, consumer credit history and motor vehicle history. Insurers considering alternative data-based mortality scores should begin with a retrospective validation study on their own experience data.
Seasonal Influenza and Mortality
Can big data from a bad flu season yield insights into all-cause mortality and help guide insurance risk assessment? RGA and Blue Dot partner to explore the global spread of infectious disease and arrive at fascinating insights.
Stratifying Mortality Risk Using Physical Activity as Measured by Wearable Sensors
Munich Re assessed the effectiveness of physical activity as measured by wearable sensors in stratifying the mortality risk profile of a U.S. population-based dataset provided by Vivametrica. Munich Re examined the dataset, performed classical actuarial mortality analysis and used survival analysis and machine learning techniques to evaluate the extent to which physical activity predicts mortality.
Underwriting Presentations from M.U.D. 2018
Slides from presentations given at the 48th annual M.U.D. Conference have been posted at their website. Presentations include:
- The Population is Abusing Drugs, but Are Drugs Abusing Insurance?
- Update from the Cuckoo’s Nest: Mental Health Underwriting
- Electronic Medical Records - State of the Union Update
- The Rise and Fall of Liver Biopsy
- Prostate Cancer- To screen or not to screen that is the question
- Through Thick and Thin – Red Blood Cell Disorders
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Evaluating Those with a Big Heart
- Using Third Party Scoring in Accelerated Underwriting
- Data Analytics & Underwriting: Are 20th-century regulations still appropriate for 21st-century underwriting?
- Anti Aging, Youthful Medication, Longevity/HGH
- Mind the Gap- Understanding the influence of anti-selection and various holes in the underwriting process of accelerated versus traditional underwriting
Taking Credit (Best's Review)
The predictive power of credit behavior data can accelerate the underwriting process for life insurers.
Impaired Risk Review: Rage Against the Machine
Increasingly, computer templates are making binding underwriting decisions through information that is programmed in with final decisions virtually unappealable. It’s a frustrating situation that is taking the human element out of a very human situation of health and risk assessment.
Synthesis Analysis - A Robust Statistical Tool for Life Insurance Underwriting and Pricing Research
As life insurers move toward accelerated or low friction underwriting, there is an increased interest in adopting emerging mortality risk prediction scores that are available almost instantaneously.