Medical Underwriting: The Race against Antibiotic Resistance (RGA)
Are Miracle Drugs Being Outmatched by Superbugs?
Medical Underwriting: UPDATED Marijuana - Not Just Blowing Smoke (RGA)
Legal “pot” use is no longer a pipe dream. Although marijuana remains the most commonly consumed illegal drug1 in the world, many nations and at least 28 U.S. states and the District of Columbia have decriminalized its medicinal use, and efforts to liberalize recreational consumption continue to gain momentum.
Coming in 2017: More Pot-Smoking Life Insurance Policyholders
Marijuana smoking has been on the rise in recent years. In the wake of the November 2016 elections, the number of users — already 25 million-strong — is likely to increase, and perhaps substantially.
The Increased Insurability of Regular Marijuana Users
Until recently, nearly all life insurers’ underwriting guidelines pegged cannabis user insurability akin to that of tobacco cigarette smokers. Not any longer.
Presentations from the 2016 SEHOUA Meeting
Slides from the 2016 SEHOUA Meeting have been posted. They include:
- Betsy Sears – “Young Kids, Old Bodies”
- Dr. Stout – “Drugs and Alcohol – The Landscape”
- Dr. Titcomb - “Red Cell Distribution Width (RDW): An Underappreciated Marker for Increased Mortality
- Mike Clift – “Motor Vehicle Reports and Driving Criticism Trends, Technology and Terminology”
- Dr. Greene - "Prostate Cancer: A Decade of Change"
- Dr. Dave Rengachary - “Advances in Multiple Sclerosis”
- Dr. Rooney – Genetics: A Discussion of How our Genes Impact Mortality”
- Ron Schaber, Philip R. Murphy and Greg Brandner - “Big Data Today and Tomorrow – the drive toward fully underwritten pricing”